Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Here Comes the Bear

     So here is the Pocket Bear that I have been talking about. Bear is about 2-3 weeks old, she is bearly (get it?) weened. Her choices were either to be snack food or come home with me, guess what I decided. Though I have had many different kinds of pets before: snakes, rabbits, hamsters, mice, spiders, cats, dogs, chinchillas, birds, fish, turtles, silk worms...etc. Bear would be my first rat. After playing and handling her for the last two hours trying to get to know her and for her to be familiar to me, I notices a few things about her. For starters I noticed that the loves to nibble on my fingers, she loves Yogi treats, she loves to sleep in my pocket and she is a heavy sleeper. Just look at her.

Here she is in my pocket, I flipped the pocket inside out and she didn't even budge.

My pocket flipping process.

First glance of her in my pocket.
Picked her up, took her out of my pocket and look, STILL SLEEPING, I wish I could do that.
     So I spent all this time talking about bear, here is a little something about me, I know, I know, talk more about the fuzzy critter and less about the less cute 20 year old human right? sorry, this journey is just as much about me as it is my little Bear. So here it is.
     My name is Yuhan (玉涵) incase none of my readers (assuming I have any) read chinese Yu means Jade and Han means all inclusive. Basically my parents wanted me to have all the qualities that Jade has in the chinese culture. Before anyone jumps to conclusions about my ethnicity I just want to make it clear, I have a chinese name and I grew up in China, but I am only a quarter Chinese, and the rest while... hmm.. complicated and very mixed? Now assuming someone asked the question: How did your family end up in China? well that is another complicated question... I will elaborate.
     My parents are Bahais (yes it is a religion, look it up here is a link), and my dad coming from a traveling family ( lived in Fiji and Hawaii) decided to do this thing called a year of service, basically where you go to another country or some place within the country and you serve your bahai community through which ever way it needs help. So when my dad turned 15 he went to Taiwan for his year of service and that is where he met my mom. My mom did not go to Taiwan for a year of service, she moved to Taiwan with her dad when she was 15 when her parents got divorced and she was in the Bahai teaching team when my dad went. To make a long story short one thing let to another they got married, had me then my two brothers (not at the same time) then my sister, got separated, and finally last year got divorced (it was for the better).
     Why did I move to the States? I moved here so that I could go to University here, and in order to do that I needed to finish high school first. On July 24 of 2007 I got off the plane from China and landed at the San Francisco Airport. My dad had already been here for a couple of months building up a security net so that we have something to land on. To put it simply I moved here, went to high school with 20 units 2 years later graduated with 240 units, entered Humboldt State University and here I am today. The highlights during that time are: my dad met someone, Toni a beautiful girl from Southern California, she has the most beautiful smile and kindest heart. And my siblings moved here, my brother and I now share an apartment next to the Cafe (Stardoughs)  that my family makes its living on. My mom also found someone, also named Tony, he is young for my mom (though she is only 43) at the age of I think 24? but she loves him so that should be good enough for me.
     So that pretty much brings us up to date. I may share more on the time I was in China but right now I am tired and watching bear sleep reminds me how tired I am. So goodnight, and sweet dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment